Staunton is home to a large number of both public and private K-12 schools, plus 11 colleges and universities within 35 minutes.
Colleges & Universities
University of Virginia
James Madison University
Washington and Lee University
Virginia Military Institute
Southern Virginia University
Eastern Mennonite University
Mary Baldwin College
Blue Ridge Community College
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
Piedmont Community College
These universities and colleges provide broad research, development and technical support for companies, as well as excellent higher education opportunities for employees and children of employees to pursue a myriad of undergraduate and graduate degrees. Many of these colleges and universities have strong programs in Accounting, Finance, Computer and Information Technology, Business, Management, Economics, and Marketing. More than 70,000 students are enrolled at these colleges and universities, with more than 13,000 annual graduates.
- Staunton public schools are rated “Blue Ribbon” schools by Expansion Management, a respected site location magazine.
- Augusta County public schools are rated “Gold Medal” schools by Expansion Management magazine. (“Gold Medal” schools represent the top 15% of schools in the U.S.
- Staunton city school system meets all requirements of No Child Left Behind
- Robert E. Lee High School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Statistics & Programs
- Seven public high schools in the Staunton area (one in the City of Staunton)
- City of Staunton school year enrollment: 2,587 students
- City of Staunton pupil-teacher ratio: 17:1
Shenandoah Valley Governor’s School - program for gifted, talented, and highly-motivated students (180 11th & 12th graders)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math
- Arts & Humanities
Valley Vocational Tech School (+/- 2,000 students)
- Certifications available in:
- Information Fundamentals Technology
- Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow
- Dental Assisting
- A+ - Trade & Industrial (Computer Systems)
- IC3 - Business & Information Technology
- Network + Business & Information Technology
- NATEF - Trade & Industrial (Auto Servicing)
- ProStart-Culinary Arts
- Microsoft Office Specialist - Business & Information Technology
- Emergency Medical Technician - State Exam
- Certified Nursing Assistant - State Exam
- Cosmetology - State Board Exam
Stuart Hall - founded in 1844; offers day-student and boarding-student options; pre-kindergarten through 12th grade; current enrollment: 302
Fishburne Military School - founded in 1879; located 10 miles east of Staunton in Waynesboro; boarding and day school for boys in 7th through 12th grades and post graduate; current enrollment: 180
Grace Christian - founded in 1980; offers day-student programing for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade; current enrollment: 320
Ridgeview Christian - established by Ridgeview Baptist Church in an effort to provide a school environment where students can grow spiritually, academically, and socially; kindergarten through 12th grade; current enrollment: 268
The Workforce Services and Continuing Education (WSCE) Division at Blue Ridge Community College offers customized workforce training for employers. In addition to customized courses, the WSCE offers continuing education for IT professionals, computer networking and certification preparation courses, and computer software training.
The Virginia Department of Business Assistance provides customized recruiting and training services to companies creating new jobs or experiencing technological change. The program offers consulting services, organizational development, electronic media services, and funding.